Pitt HomeFind PeopleContact Us
For Safety's Sake

Your Role

The University encourages everyone in the Pitt community to report crimes and other emergencies promptly to the Pitt police, or to other appropriate police agencies if off campus. At sessions conducted for freshmen and their parents, participants are advised to report all information regarding any incident to the Pitt police. University police department seminars and publications offer crime prevention tips and emphasize the importance of reporting crimes.

A student, resident director, University police officer, or any other member of the Pitt community can also refer a violation of the Student Code of Conduct to the Office of Student Conduct.

Q: How do I report a crime?
A: You can report criminal activity or other emergencies to Pitt police by calling 4-2121 from a campus phone or 412-624-2121 from a noncampus phone. Crimes may also be reported by:

  • Using the anonymous tips portion of the University of Pittsburgh Police Department Web site.
  • Picking up a campus emergency phone. These phones ring directly into the Pitt police, automatically registering the location of the caller
  • Visiting the University of Pittsburgh Public Safety Building (3412 Forbes Avanuel) or any of these substations: Sutherland Hall, Forbes Avenue (between the Barco Law Building and Lawrence Hall), or Sennott Square.
  • Contacting the resident assistant (RA), assistant hall director(AHD), or resident director (RD) in the residence halls; guards or desk attendants; or other University officials who will then contact the Pitt police.

Q: Can I remain anonymous?
A: Yes. Pitt’s counseling center includes a confidential reporting system that allows anonymous crime reporting. Pitt’s counselors advise student crime victims that the University forwards nonidentifying information regarding that crime to the police for inclusion in the annual statistical report, and the identity of the victim remains anonymous in the crime report.

Q: What should I do if I am a victim of hazing?
A: Hazing is absolutely prohibited by the University and by state law (see the anti-hazing policy in Appendix F of the Student Code of Conduct). Students who feel they have been victims of hazing should contact the Pitt police (4-2121), the Office of Student Conduct (412-648-7910), or the Department of Athletics (412-648-8230 or 412-648-8218).

Q: Can I carry a gun on campus as a means of self-protection?
A: No. The carrying or possession of firearms and/or other weapons on campus by anyone other than authorized law enforcement officers, such as Pitt police or city of Pittsburgh police, is absolutely prohibited.

Q: How do I report suspected child abuse or sexual misconduct with a child at the University?
A: Anyone who has reasonable cause to suspect child abuse, including but not limited to sexual abuse, that is connected in any way to the University shall report it. At a minimum, someone who suspects such child abuse shall immediately report the matter to the University police and the chancellor or executive vice chancellor. The University police also shall notify the chancellor, the executive vice chancellor, and the Office of General Counsel. The chancellor or the executive vice chancellor shall notify the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare and any other governmental unit or person as may be required by law. Retaliation is strictly prohibited against anyone who makes a good faith report of suspected child abuse or who participates in a related investigation.

Q: Where can I obtain more information about crime prevention and security awareness programs for students and employees?
A. Pitt offers a number of crime prevention and security awareness programs for students and employees. A common theme of all programs is to encourage students and employees to be aware of their responsibility for their own security and the security of others. Each semester, the Office of Residence Life and members of the Pitt Police meet with parents and students to provide information on personal safety and residence hall security. Additional programs include the following:

  • Operation ID allows students to inscribe identifying numbers on valuables such as television stereos, computers, etc.
  • A one-credit personal defense class offered each term by the University’s Department of Health and Physical Activity in which students can learn to become streetwise and acquire observation skills enabling them to escape a potential attacker.
  • Crime Watch programs allow students, staff, and faculty groups to meet at least once per semester with police to discuss security and safety concerns.
  • The Self-defense Awareness and Familiarization Exchange (SAFE) is a two-hour educational crime awareness and victim prevention program that encompasses strategies, techniques, options, and prevention information for teenaged and adult women. Police officers who are trained as instructors offer this program a minimum of 10 times per year.
  • Police officers present Active Threat Response Training upon request to students, staff, and faculty. This training is modeled after the U.S. Department of Homeland Security program Run, Hide, Fight, which offers tips to the campus community on how to survive an active shooter or workplace violence incident. The program is offered upon request; officers have conducted this program twice per semester.

In addition to seminars, safety information is distributed to the campus community through crime alerts and emergency notification messages, and can be found on the Pitt Police Web site at www.police.pitt.edu.


University of Pittsburgh Police EMERGENCIES 4-2121
or Noncampus Phone
General Assistance 4-4040
or 412-624-4040

Sexual Assault Services

Student Health Service

University Counseling Center

Student Conduct

Environmental Health and Safety

412-648-CALL (2255)


City of Pittsburgh Police,
Fire, Ambulance 911

Pittsburgh Action Against Rape
24-hour hotline 1-866-363-7273

Center for Victims of
Violence and Crime

24-hour hotline 412-392-8582

Pennsylvania Department
of Public Welfare
ChildLine for abuse reporting


You are using a browser that does not support current Web standards. Although this site is viewable in all browsers, it will look much better in a browser that supports Web standards.