Pitt HomeFind PeopleContact Us
For Safety's Sake

Upon request, the Student Health Service (SHS) offers training on substance-abuse issues to students, faculty, and staff through special in-house training programs. Call
412-383-4920 for more information.

Several self-help support groups, including Alcoholics Anonymous, also meet on campus. Mental health professionals and a certified drug and alcohol counselor are also available at the University Counseling Center, located within the Wellness Center, which is housed on the second floor of Mark A. Nordenberg Hall.

Obtaining Crime and Safety Information

In accordance with the Pennsylvania Uniform Crime Reporting Act and the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, all University of Pittsburgh students and employees receive updated security information annually. The University also makes information about campus crimes and security available in a variety of other ways that include the following:

  • Pitt provides all prospective students and applicants for employment with information on security policies and procedures and how to obtain additional security data.
  • Students receive an electronic notification that explains their personal responsibility to be knowledgeable about the Student Code of Conduct, as well as a link directing them to the Office of Student Conduct Web site, where they can review the code.
    The link to the code also is posted on the Pitt Portal.
  • Security concerns also appear in the University Times, which is published for faculty and staff every other week, and in the student newspaper, The Pitt News, published five times a week during fall and spring terms and on a reduced schedule during the summer.

The University also has numerous crime prevention workshops and seminars throughout the year on the Pittsburgh campus. These are sponsored by the Pitt police, Office of Residence Life (for resident students), Student Government Board, Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association, Pitt Program Council, and other departments and organizations on campus.


The Pitt police department prepares a daily log of all reported incidents and publishes that log on the police
Web site
. This log contains the nature, time, and general location of each crime, as well as its disposition, if known.

Q Where can I find crime reports?

A In addition to Web site accessibility, the daily crime log is reported—along with monthly crime tips—to The Pitt News for dissemination to the Pitt community.

Q What other crime reports are available?

A Crimes reported to the Pitt police department are submitted monthly to the Pennsylvania State Police for inclusion in the Uniform Crime Report. The Pitt police also submit an annual report of crime statistics to the U.S. Department of Education; statistics are gathered from the following sources:

  • Pitt police
  • City police and UPMC hospitals in the Oakland area
  • Office of Student Life and residence life, Student Health Service, University Counseling Center, deans of students, and other applicable University officials who have significant responsibility for campus life and activities

Q Do any reports show Pitt's crime statistics over a longer period?

A Yes. In compliance with Chapter 3 of the Pennsylvania Uniform Crime Reporting Act and the federal Jeanne Clery Act, the Pitt police generate a three-year statistical report, which is included in this publication. This report is distributed to all current students, staff, and faculty, while prospective students and employees are notified of its existence and afforded an opportunity to request and receive a copy.


Under the federal Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act, any person who is required to register with the commonwealth as a sex offender under Pennsylvania's Megan's Law requirement must notify the state if they are employed or are enrolled as a student at a college or university. The law also requires institutions of higher education to advise the campus community how to obtain information on current registered sexual offenders and predators residing within the campus community. Information regarding registered sex offenders residing in the Oakland area may be obtained by visiting the Pennsylvania Megan's Law Web site.

Q Does Pitt screen prospective students for criminal history?

A Some graduate school applicants are asked about their criminal history, and federal law requires certain disclosures on financial aid forms. In addition, residence hall students must disclose to Panther Central any felony convictions or other convictions for sexual offenses or drug distribution, sale, or manufacture. If students have any such convictions, they may not reside in University-owned housing without first obtaining permission from the Office of Residence Life. Students with such convictions must agree to assist Residence Life in conducting a background check and to adhere to any reasonable housing conditions mandated by Residence Life. Based on the nature and circumstances of past or future convictions, the student may be prevented from residing in University-owned housing. Failure to disclose convictions prior to residing on campus will be considered a violation of the Student Code of Conduct and may result in immediate removal from campus housing.

Q Does Pitt screen current or prospective employees for criminal history?

A All prospective staff and certain faculty members are asked if they have ever pled guilty to or been convicted of misdemeanor or felony crimes. All prospective employees are also screened in state and federal criminal records databases and the state child abuse registry consistent with the requirements of Act 153. Certain positions, such as those in housing and residence life, those having direct contact with children consistent with the requirements of Act 153, and those involving hazardous materials, require criminal background checks. Pitt will not offer employment to applicants if they have criminal histories that disqualify them from the requirements of the position they are seeking.


University of Pittsburgh Police
or Noncampus Phone

General Assistance 4-4040
or 412-624-4040

Office of Sexual Harassment and Assault Response and Education (SHARE)

Student Health Service

University Counseling Center
(Phones answered 24 hours a day/seven days a week)

Student Conduct

Environmental Health and Safety

412-648-CALL (2255)

Panther Central


City of Pittsburgh
Police, Fire, Ambulance

Pittsburgh Action Against Rape
24-hour hotline


Center for Victims
24-hour hotline

Pennsylvania Department
of Public Welfare
ChildLine for abuse reporting


Re:solve Crisis Network
Mental Health Crisis Intervention

1-866-7-YOU CAN or 1-888-796-8226

You are using a browser that does not support current Web standards. Although this site is viewable in all browsers, it will look much better in a browser that supports Web standards.